Sunday, October 17, 2010

I Promise (A Woman Keepin' It Real With A Man)

I promise
That if you give me a choice between a burger and a salad
I'll choose the burger

I promise
That I will react to you looking at another woman
With the stereotypical Latina fire

I promise
That I will complain about something at least once a day
Whether it's my weight, or the newest economic policy

I promise
That I will try not to interrupt you during the game
Unless "the game" turns into 4, or 5, or a whole weekend

I promise
That I will gain weight
But I'll try to keep it in all the right places

I promise
That once a month I will REALLY want to throw shoes at you for no reason
Give me chocolate, let it pass, and DON'T tell me it's "just hormones"

I promise
That when you take the garbage out
I'll say that was the best taking out of the garbage I've ever seen

I promise
That when you wear the same sweatpants so much they can stand on their own
I'll quietly put them in the washer for you, and put them right back where you left them (on the floor)

I promise
That, although leaving the toilet seat up is disgusting and selfish
I'll just put it down when I need to, and leave it down, just to make a point (quietly)

I promise
That I'll make your favorite dish
When you're mad at me (but not if I'm mad at you too; there's drive-thrus for that)

I promise
That when times are hard and I have to pay the bills for a few months
I'll still let you be "the man"

I promise
That when even your mother puts you down
I'll lift you up

I promise
That when even your homies doubt you
I'll have your back

I promise
That when you need to hear the truth
I'll say it

I promise
That, when all else fails
My love for you will never fail
My love for you will never die
My love for you will conquer all

I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Tricia,
    I'm so sorry that this was the first year where I forgot to reach out to you on your bday. You were in my thoughts and prayers. I just wanted to reach out to you and tell you how proud I am to know you. You are one of the most beautiful and wonderful people I know. I miss you. I want you to meet my sons, but especially my little girls. I love to surround them with examples of great women. You are by far one of the best I know. I just re-read every blog you have written. Right on point on so many levels. But you have always been. Love your poems. Can't wait to read your book. Keep shining. May God bless you today and always. Love ya! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, please do not worry about my birthday. I know that no matter what, you are one of my real friends. You are an inspiration to me and I love you! -T

    ReplyDelete