As summer ends and fall begins, so do new seasons in the various aspects of our lives - school, college, work, church, football, etc. A new season is a time for change. For me, this new season represents the opportunity to make the most out of my relationships with family, friends, colleagues and students, in a way that is different for me. This year, I am pledging to put myself at the top of my list, after God. In putting myself first, I am going to become a better counselor, friend, daughter, sister, and eventually, wife and mother. As I reflect on what I want to happen in my life, I realize that our destiny is not always determined by what we do, but by who we are. With that in mind, I've set goals that consist, not of things that I need to DO, but of what I would like to BE.
1. BE COMMITTED. I will keep my promises to myself. I will give 100% to what I commit to do.
2. BE POSITIVE. I will change my thoughts so that they are more affirmative, and my life will follow the direction of my thoughts.
3. BE GENUINE. I will be my authentic self, which will engender authenticity in my relationships.
4. BE ACCOUNTABLE. I will do what I have said I would do. I will let others know what my goals are, and will seek help in achieving them.
5. BE GRATEFUL. I will enjoy the present. I will focus more on what I have than on what I want. When I am grateful for what I have, I am demonstrating that I can be trusted to receive what I want.
In sharing these goals with you, I hope to inspire you to just "be"!
Based on goals I set for myself last year, inspired to share again by a conversation with one of my wonderful students today! (Hi C.C.!)